Friday, September 16, 2011

morning pickings

While watering the garden I was noting what was good for picking that would be a change from parsley and silverbeet.  It seemed I have been harvesting the rampant parsley and chards, the white and colourful ones, to keep up with their prolific growth.  I am not complaining and pleased to say that there are friends willing to accept my offerings.
The flowers in the house needed changing and I was quite hungry after two hours of watering.  There were enough violets, blue and pink, to fill up a small vase and the nasturtiums, together with bluebells and jasmin make an impressive arrangement.  I love having jasmin in the house for the sweet fragrance.  The wild freesias and bluebells too give off a perfume, albeit slight.
Beneath the vigorous turnip greens I saw a hint of purplish pink.  I have yet to decide whether to have the turnip raw or cooked in a vegetable soup.  There are plenty of yacons and Jerusalem artichokes to add to the soup if that's the way to go.  The broadbeans (some of them) are the size of my thumb and would be good cooked whole in butter with a few leaves of sage for flavouring.  The snowpeas I could eat raw and that is what I have been doing as they are as good as eating a sweet fruit.  This morning pickings would provide me a couple of meals today.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Razmi
    Your garden looks so lovely. I did not know you could grow things in such proximity to each other. Are your nasturtiums and freesias are growing with the veggies. I must do that. Just planted some collards, beets, cauliflower, broccoli to see if I can get a Fall early winter garden. I will let you know. Pls send me some easy recipes for spicy food
    This is Patricia in New Jersey, Berni's friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say check out my web site at www.boomerwizdom.com

    ReplyDelete