Saturday, September 10, 2011

lemons

Three years ago I planted this lemon tree, close enough to the fence with the intention of training the branches along the two rows of wires already fixed to the fence posts.  I have yet to find time to do this job so the lemon is growing bushy rather than espaliered.  It has produced some lovely looking lemons which shall remain on the bush until they are needed.  So far the possums have ignored the bush and I hope they will be distracted by other greener crops.  They have been grazing on the tops of the roses and a couple of parsley bushes but have ignored some other vegetables such as the snow peas and broad beans.  I can afford to spare the parsley as they are all over the place and I let them grow wherever the seeds landed.  That is a good supply of vitamin C and iron and I do not get tired of tabouleh and for that salad the lemons come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment