Monday, September 5, 2011

colourful freesias

The everyday commonplace freesias are making their presence felt by their sweet perfume, when you are kneeling close to a patch.  There must be millions of self sown freesias in paddocks and garden beds.  They are a hardy lot.  I am not sure if the cultivars are as strong or if they will carry their created characteristics into the next generation.  Last autumn I planted a mixed collection of freesia bulbs, not knowing what to expect.  I have been pleasantly surprised.  The colours are vibrant and the size noticeable.  There is even a double.  I hope they will come back next year looking just as good.  I will of course, lift the bulbs when the leaves die down and label and store them.  I must learn to be methodical with storing my bulbs and seeds or I will not know what I have.  Some bulbs, like the ixias, I leave in the ground and they do multiply. At the moment my wild ixias (they are wild because they seem to be able to spread themselves unchecked), are everywhere.  They are creamy with a bit of yellow, and they look marvelous when the sun shines on them. (see picture below)  Today however, it is back to wet and grey weather which I am not complaining about as the ground is starting to dry out because we have had very little rain in August.  We'll have cold days but the warmth should spring back and warm up the soil and by then I will be ready to buy eggplant and tomato seedlings.  I will buy one grafted tomato and I have picked the spot to plant it in.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment