Friday, February 11, 2011

Rhubarb

I am finally having some success with growing rhubarb.  For many years I would be lucky to get a few stalks during the growing season, until finally the plant disappeared completely and I gave up rhubarb.  I moved into this garden in spring and I noticed a few leaves of the rhubarb sprouting up from a small crown.  The plant did not do well so I moved it to another spot where, for a year it looked more dead than alive.  I decided to enrich the soil in its original spot, with compost and sheep manure and returned the crown into a slightly raised mound.  I have been rewarded for my effort and since late spring I have been pulling off good sized stalks to stew with apples.  I have seen better looking clumps of rhubarb but for the moment I am happy that I am not forking out a fortune for rhubarbs from the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment