Friday, February 18, 2011

ginger and turmeric

About four months ago I planted a piece of ginger, with a bit of shoot, a piece of fresh turmeric root, also with a couple of nascent shoots, a chunk of galangal, with the promise of growth and the root end of a lemon grass.  The lemon grass showed a bit of life after a month but nothing else was promising new life.  The pot was in a protected area, getting enough sun but not too much to dry out the soil and the precious contents.  About a month ago I saw green shoots appearing.  The top picture shows a rather tall ginger plant, (see its shadow), and down low, the turmeric.  The lemon grass is there but not clearly shown.  The pot at the back has a small clump of lemon grass thriving.  The second picture shows clearly the turmeric leaf.  I am sure when the cold weather settles in I will lose the ginger and turmeric, but I shall do my best to keep the pot in a warm and sunny position.  It would be exciting to harvest my own ginger and turmeric, but I am not too hopeful.  However, if I could get a few turmeric leaves during the growing season I shall be thrilled.  Turmeric leaf is used in Malay cooking for its aroma.  It is added to rendang and gulai.  Here's hoping to a few more leaves on the turmeric.  I have given up on the galangal but will try again next spring.  No point trying now when we are heading towards the cooler weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment