Saturday, February 19, 2011

The pineapple lily, Eucomis comosa, flowers in autumn but from late summer it sends out long stems bearing greenish flowers, tinged with mauve.  At the top of the flower stalk sits a tuft of leaves, looking very much like the top of a pineapple.  I have some growing in a large pot which has not been touched for about ten years.  I have been meaning to find a spot for it when I moved to this garden but somehow that chore has yet to be performed.  The plant prefers full sun and the bulbs are supposed to be planted in early spring for autumn flowering.  Perhaps this is one job I cannot put off next spring as the clump is looking overcrowded in the pot. It is time I look for a spot, or two, in the garden, close to the agapanthus, to provide a show when the agapanthus season ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment