Saturday, December 26, 2009

Waiting to harvest



I did not expect to find this pretty pink poppy in my garden.  I am waiting to harvest the seed pods of the other poppies and this tiny plant unfurled its crepe like pink petals.  I am also waiting to harvest the flat peaches.  They are a beautiful red but still firm.  However, this morning, I picked one that is tender on one side so my son Caley could have a taste before going on a cycling holiday in Vietnam and Indonesia for two months.  I had a sliver of the white flesh and it was sweet and juicy.  I have two nets over the tree and I hope the marauding cockatoos will not get to the fruits before I do.  I hope more people will grow the flat peaches as they are so tasty and so good to look at.  The variety I bought last year came under the name "Donut Peach".  The peach does look a bit like a doughnut, minus the hole.

I am also beginning to harvest the purple beans.  I am using the beans fresh or quickly stir fried as they are so tender.  I have been promising my grandson that I will start off a couple of the bean plants in a pot for him but somehow I have not managed to do so.  I can still put in a couple of seeds in a pot and he could harvest some beans in a couple of months.  The very warm weather we have been getting will certainly help with the growth.  This is happening with the self sown lettuces and Chinese mustard.  I will transplant them when they are a bit bigger, and dig in the excess seedlings.  I am digging in chopped up old lettuce plants to improve the soil.  I no longer throw my garden waste in the green bin.  Using a heavy chopper I chop unwanted plants and either add them to the compost or use them as mulch.  The seed heads of weeds I treat as rubbish as I do not want to spread more weeds in my garden.
I will be sowing more radish seeds, red and white, and hope to harvest them in three to four weeks.  By that time I hope to harvest my salad ingredients from the garden.  The cucumbers are still tiny and the tomatoes are fruiting very nicely and when the radish are ready I hope to have a constant supply for my salad bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment