Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The North Wind


The flat peaches are red all over, but still firm.  I hope this northerly wind, that has been blowing all night, will not do them damage.  Unlike the north wind in the nursery rhyme, (The North wind does blow, and we shall have snow), down under it is dreaded.  Yesterday was the odd number watering day and I tried to give the garden a good soaking.  I am still thinking of ways to keep delicate plants watered in extreme weather.  I may bury 2 litre plastic bottles, with small holes drilled in the base to allow the water to drip slowly.  I will have the lids on to stop evaporation.  There are times when I long for the good old days when we can just turn on the sprinkler hose to drench the garden  As that is not to be, I will be bucketting water collected in the kitchen sink to keep the ferns and hydrangeas alive.  Why not get rid of those thirsty plants you may ask?  The ferns are so cooling to look at.  I see them from my dining table.   They are a pleasure to look at anytime of the day.  I worry about the large fronds of the lacy tree fern and the soft tree fern for they will be the first to go when the desiccating winds come through.  While they are green they keep the back corner of my garden looking cool. 
The flat pack water tank has been up a few weeks.  The 1000 litre tank, (see picture), is made from the same material used for the bladder container.  The tank I bought when it was on sale at a local hardware store for $99.00 and the cost of putting it up, including connecting the diverter to the downpipe, was $140.00.  I won't cost the brick base.  The secondhand bricks came from a neighbour who did not want to send them to the tip when he demolished his garage.  My three sons helped clean the bricks and their charges are quite fair - lasagnas, pasta, puddings and ice cream - not all at one sitting.



No comments:

Post a Comment