Friday, December 18, 2009

jacaranda

There are still flowers on the jacaranda tree even though the footpath is covered with the windfall blue blossoms, which I prefer not to sweep away.  If I want a thick carpet of blue I may need to give the tree a good pruning in autumn to encourage more flowers next year.  I need to give the tree a good shock for it to send new shoots next year.  I am not up to climbing the tree or a ladder with a chain saw, so the job would have to be outsourced.  I may persuade my sons to help.


This morning I noticed the white agapanthus ready to burst open.  When I was planting the different pots of agapanthus in the garden I had no idea what colours they were.  If I had known I would have planted the white agapanthus in a separate bed as I love to see the pristine white heads standing apart.  That would have to be a job for the future and I have to remember to label the plant.  I should also have remembered to label some of my bulbs when I dug some of them out.  That is the problem of gardening on the run.  Jobs are not done systematically.  Can I ever be systematic in my garden?  Perhaps not.  The main thing is to remember to feed the plants on a regular basis.  I use seaweed liquid fertiliser to help the plants along but give the roses additional feed to encourage more flowers.  The eggplants must be fed soon as I can see the fruits forming.  The zucchini too needs a feed.  Normally a zucchini fruit would double in size overnight (a slight exaggeration maybe) but my crop seems to be taking their time.  Perhaps some sheep manure and compost around the plant would give it a boost.  It is overcast out there.  It is time to do some work in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment