Sunday, December 13, 2009

Touch of blue


 The blue flowers are appearing all over the garden.  The jacaranda tree needs a shocking pruning to give the kind of display I am seeing all over the Melbourne suburbs.  I shall do it after the flowering is well over, perhaps after Christmas.  A not so obvious blue flower is that of the eggplant.  I'm getting a few of them from the few plants I put in over a month ago and they are growing at different rates.  This is the long Lebanese eggplant which I like to pick when they are still small and tender.  Last year I had a good crop from one plant and this time I am adding potash to the plants that are busily flowering.  The bees seem to love them as they do with the borage.  The self seeding borage are coming up with seedlings all over the garden and I have to transplant them before they are too big as the borage does not like to be moved.  Moving the borage seedling with a good clump of soil will encourage better growth.  The plant I will stop from self seeding is the agapanthus.  I have both the normal size and the miniature.  They are opening up, at various stages, in different parts of the garden, in pots and in the ground.  They are such cheerful flowers I don't want to call them weeds as some people think they are.  I chop off the seed heads as soon as they appear as the seeds can germinate with no help what so ever.

I am disappointed that the love in the mist seeds did not take off.  I love the deep blue variety.  In my old garden they would appear in pots or flowerbeds.  The few that appear in this garden are of the pale blue, almost white variety and they seem to be stunted.  From where I am working at the computer I can see the blue flowers of the jacaranda, agapanthus and lobelia.  I shall look up my gardening books for some ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment