Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Spring garden

After being away for two weeks it was wonderful to return to a spring garden alive with flowers and blossoms that may bear fruit.  The sunshine and blue sky enhanced the greenness of the lawn and new leaves.  The ornamental pear, which was bare a month ago is covered in white blossoms, albeit not too thickly, because of the pruning in winter.
The cherry tree on the right is still bare but the blossoms of the flat peach were attracting bees so I hope we'll get some fruits in February.  I love the pink of the peach blossoms, see picture.
The big peach tree is also covered in blossoms and I will cover the fruits more carefully this season to protect them from the birds and possums.  This is my fourth year in this place and the flat peach was planted the week I moved in.

While I was away I was concerned about not seeing the daffodils in flower but they are still showing off and I have quite a few of them in different parts of the garden.  They are still upright even though the strong wind that has been blowing since this afternoon is threatening to slice through delicate plants and uproot trees.
I would have to go to my gardening books to name the different varieties of daffodil in the garden and this is my favourite.
The azaleas too are doing well.  I should have taken a picture of the best of the lot, a rounded mound of pink.  

No comments:

Post a Comment