Saturday, September 15, 2012

Ranunculus

The ranunculus is very showy, especially when you have a bed, or a big pot of them growing.  Each year in spring when the ranunculus show off their colours, from pale to brilliant hues, I tell myself I must plant more of them.  In autumn, when the seeds that look like the legs of a dead insects are planted, I am usually short of the dream I have of mass planting.  I plant them in well drained soil, about the depth of the length of my thumb and with enough distance to give each plant to grow and send up tall stalks of intended beauty.
I have no idea this pot of ranunculus would bear pink flowers, almost the same colour as the azaleas that has blossomed faithfully in the four years I have had this garden.  This spot receives plenty of sunshine and when the ranunculus is spent I shall put in its place a tomato.  Even a neighbour's cat seek out a bit of space here to sunbake in.
I find growing the ranunculus in pots more satisfying as those in the ground have to fight for space in my overcrowded garden.  An advantage of growing in pots is the ability to move them when the plants are no longer showy and need to be shoved to the working part of the garden while waiting to prepare the roots for next season planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment