Tuesday, January 17, 2012

dahlias

This red dahlia came with me from my previous garden.  For a while it was planted in a container until I could decide on a suitable place for it.  Once planted dahlias can be left unattended and will return after its dormant period.  I am still looking for a permanent site for this dahlia but this summer it is doing quite well in two sunny spots.
These two varieties of dahlia come up every summer through the clumps of azaleas.  Once the leaves have died one would have no idea that the dahlias are waiting quietly for the warmer weather.  I look out for the young leaves in spring and scatter snail baits as the young leaves are very attractive to snail and slugs.
A close up of the white and mauve dahlia which stays pretty through summer.  Maybe I will have a look at the tubers this autumn to divide.

No comments:

Post a Comment