Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Battling cockatoos

This picture of a sunflower is taken from the window next to my computer.  I have been enjoying this sight, watching the sunflower unfurl over the last few days.  The very tall stalk (over 6 feet?), grows in my outside garden next to the fence.  The roof is that of the carport, so you can imagine the height of this magnificent flower.  This year I have sunflowers all over the garden but this is the tallest.  The cockatoos too must have been watching for they came yesterday afternoon and one landed on the stalk.  I saw the flower disappearing and heard the squawking.  I made a lot of noise to frighten the bird away and discovered the broken stalk.  I was tempted to bandage it and allow the other buds to grow and open up. I have repaired other semi-broken stems this way with success.  Instead I cut the thick stalk and put the flower in a vase which I placed on the front verandah to be with my potted plants.  I hope the bees will keep coming to do their job and the flower will go to seed.  I also hope the smaller bud will open up.  As for the cockatoos, what can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment