Saturday, January 28, 2012

cannas

If I have more space I would grow more cannas for the different leaf and flower colours.  Cannas are easy to grow from seeds or rhizomes.  If there is an ugly fence to hide the canna will do the job quite easily.  I have three different colours of the flower and I have lost the maroon-leaf variety.
This yellow canna does a good job of hiding the colorbond fence.  The bright yellow cheers up the garden and in summer they will send up endless new flower stalks.  I am quite diligent about removing the stalk with the spent flowers.  Blood and bone around the base of the plants seem to help.
I bought this salmon pink variety from the St Andrews market many, many years ago.  I have given gardening friends cuttings of the rhizomes.  At the moment the flowers are looking pretty in the front, besides the fence and I sometimes notice passers by stopping to admire the flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment