Wednesday, May 4, 2011

banana

At the moment my banana grove is looking good but the frost will be coming soon and that means blackened leaves.  I have been thinking about putting up a simple framework around the grove and covering the top with clear plastic and the surrounding with a shade cloth.  That way the banana plants will be protected from the wind and the frost.  I have been harvesting some of the leaves and storing them in the fridge for use as wrappings for steaming or baking.  This is a fruiting variety but I don't know if I will ever see it produce anything, even a flower.  The banana flower is edible and much used in South East Asian cooking.
Two suckers have emerged.  I will transfer them into pots and perhaps allow them to grow in the pots rather than plant them in another part of the garden.  The banana plant loves the sun and shelter from the wind.  At the moment I am not sure if I can spare a spot to create another banana grove.

No comments:

Post a Comment