Saturday, May 14, 2011

watercress

Over a year ago I bought a tube of watercress seedlings at the Sunday market with little hope of seeing them flourish.  I was told there was no need for a running stream which I thought was necessary.  The seedlings were planted in a pot of half and half compost and potting mix and then placed in a bucket of water.  They are doing very well and if I could remember to buy more buckets I would start propagating.  The cress I bought at the market were grown from seeds but cuttings would easily strike roots in water.  I have a spot close to the compost bin where I have my water garden.  The area gets enough afternoon sun to keep the plants happy.  The two buckets of water chestnuts are doing well and will be ready for harvesting soon.  Eventually I will create a pond for the water plants and maybe keep a couple of fish.  I top up the water in the buckets but with the rain we have been getting that is not necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment