Sunday, April 24, 2011

pumpkins

I have heard different stories from gradeners who are quite dissapointed with their pumpkin harvest this autumn.  I have to say the same but I managed to harvest a collection of Queensland Blue and butternut pumpkins.  The pumpkin vines lovrd the rain we have been getting but they suffered a bit from not having the warmth during the summer months.  I planted the seedlings in September, thinking that will give the vines enough warm weather to produce fruits, grow and mature in the sunshine.  Our wet summer changed all that so they were struggling a bit.
I store the pumpkins in the laundry, the coolest place in the house.  As I do not use a dryer there is no danger of rotting from the steam and ensuing damp.  The vines need to be fed and I use seaweed solution.  I will always plant butternut as I find the flesh sweet, especially when baked.  I will look out for other varieties and for their next season I shall prepare the ground well before planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment