Monday, January 17, 2011

Exotic flowers

To me the Brazilian Plume flower - Justicia carnea (top picture) and the Clerodendrum bungei are two of the most exotic flowers in my garden.  The Brazilian plume flower is found in many Melbourne garden but the Clerodendrum bungei is not so common.  Given the right condition and care the plume flower may well bloom from spring till autumn.  It prefers well drained acid soil in dappled shade and protection from frost.  I like the showy spikes of pink flowers and if they are deadheaded when spent, more buds will appear.  I have seen wattle birds enjoying the nectar of the Justicia. The plant is quite happy in containers as mine proved to be in between gardens.
I came across the Clerodendrum bungei in the wild garden of my rented house over thirty years ago.  The plant sent suckers all over the place so it was quite easy for me to dig one up when I moved out.  I eventually identified the plant from a picture in a gardening book.  Only once have I seen the Clerodendrum in a nursery for sale.  It is described as an upright suckering shrub and I have seen suckers appearing through the cracks in a concrete path.  There is no danger of it taking over the garden though but it may surprise a neighbour by travelling underneath the fence.  The red purple to rosy-pink flowers appear from late summer to early autumn.  It prefers partial shade.  The clusters of small flowers look like a pom pom and are attractive to bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment