Friday, January 14, 2011

Cucumbers and chillies

It is sunny today and I shall be making the most of today, to plant out seedlings and feed my vegetables with seaweed solution.  I have cucumbers growing in my vegetable box as well as in the ground.  My neighbour Kristine gave me her surplus seedlings and I was planting them all over the place, including one in a pot, which I have given to her as it was doing so well.  The freshly picked cucumbers are so sweet and I must remember to pick them as soon as they are big enough.  With the prices of fruits going up I may be eating cucumbers instead.  To support the vines I have used bamboos and branches pruned from the robinia trees.  I had to remove the thorns from the robinia brances but rather than put them aside for kindlings I thought they would be more useful being supports in the garden.  That saved me going to the hardware store for stakes.
I am happy with my various chilli varieties.  I am waiting for the long green chillies to ripen.  By my standard they will be mild but I suppose those unaccustomed to chillies will consider them hot.  The small green chillies which are growing pointing upwards will be hotter when they ripened.  They will be lovely for making sambals and just chopped up as accompaniment. I don't know what is making holes in the leaves of the small green chillies but the culprits seem to have abandoned the bush. 
I have also the seedlings from my hot chilli bush waiting to be planted out.  I am running out of space in the garden bed and garden boxes.  I may have to pull out some mature parsley bushes to make some room.  I am careful to look after parsley seedlings which are appearing all over the garden as this is the time when the mature plants go to seed and it is quite possible to run out of parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment