Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cabbages and potatoes

I am thinking seriously about not growing cabbages and potatoes.  They take up a lot of room and the cabbages have enough pests to worry about.  They are amongst the cheaper vegetables to buy, but after eating a freshly picked cabbage (and ignoring the holes in the leaves), and enjoying some freshly dug Nicola potatoes (see picture), I may change my mind about relying on the market for these vegetables.
There are so many white cabbage butterflies in my garden and their caterpillars happily live in my cabbages and Brussel sprouts. Other than looking for the caterpillar I do not actively do anything to prevent the butterflies laying eggs on the brassicas.  I like to try out different potatoes and when buying some for the kitchen I would put aside a tuber to plant.  If I could find a small vacant plot in the garden I may put in a Nicola tuber to grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment