Thursday, February 23, 2012

Malay herbs

The turmeric with its broad, fragrant leaves is a favourite Malay herb used in rendang and gulai.  Needless to say the lemon grass is often used together with turmeric leaves.  In the picture the turmeric is in the pot sitting in front of a clump of lemon grass.  I have a few clumps of lemon grass growing and I propagate more when I pick a stem or two for cooking.  I slice off about one centimetre from the base of the stem and place it in potting mix.  More often than not a new shoot will sprout and it can be planted in a pot or in the ground in a sunny position.  A bit of protection will help in winter .

The turmeric I grew from a tuber I bought from a greengrocer.  I planted the tuber in early spring and it took a while to sprout.  Being a tropical plant it loves a sunny spot.   In autumn when the leaves show sign of yellowing I harvest them to freeze.  The tuber I dig up to use in my cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment