Thursday, February 16, 2012

Basil

If you look carefully you'll see roots sprouting from the basil cuttings.  I picked the bunch of basil for the kitchen so I don't have to go to the garden in the dark when I sometimes need the herb.  Another way of propagating basil but this way is not always successful.  Another way is by self seeding, which again, is a gamble.  I was successful with this purple basil which came up in my garden box from seeds dropped last summer.
I am letting some of the basil bushes to go to seeds.  In Asia the basil seeds are added to drinks and they turn gelatinous when soaked.  I like to call them frog's eggs because that's what they look like.  I will remember to cut back some of the flower head so I can encourage more growth before the cold weather sets in.
This is the best of the basil clumps.  A few are dwarfed by tomato plants.  They me be the best companion to tomato in every way but they need space to grow to their full potential.  Basil loves warmth and sunshine and when you brush against them on a warm day you will be filled with their exotic perfume.
I bought this perennial basil from the garden club.  It is also called the cinnamon basil.  I will protect it in winter with a covering of plastic and I may be able to enjoy some fresh basils when the sweet basils are gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment