Monday, August 15, 2011

Helebores and wallflowers

The helebores, also known as the Christmas rose in the Northen hemisphere are doing quite well beneath the jacarandah tree.  Helebores flower in winter and though I am interested in getting the different varieties available, I will wait until I have time to tidy up the space underneath the tree.  The helebores are competing with the azaleas and until I can make a bit more space it will be wasteful to get more helebores with no space to plant them in.  It is tempting though when I see the different colours at the nursery.
The wallflowers are doing very well.  The flowers usually last till the end of summer.  I would have to remember to prune before the seed pods form.  Wallflowers can also be propagated by taking a cutting.  The one in my garden came from a bunch of flowers from a friend's garden.  She visited with the flowers about three years ago and when the flowers dropped I stuck the stems in a pot and now I have them in a couple of spots in the garden.  They are cheerful to look at especially when you get one of those drab wintry days.

No comments:

Post a Comment