Tuesday, March 29, 2011

dahlia

If you can stop snails and slugs from feasting on the new growth appearing from the dahlia tubers in spring, you will have a supply of fresh flowers in late summer and autumn.  Dahlias are hungry plants and need full sun to do well.  I have them in different parts of my garden and one clump is still flowering with only partial sun in the afternoon.  Today's high temperature (about 28 degrees centigrade) may encourage the dahlias to send up more buds.  From past years I have noticed that when the plants are fed and watered well, they will have a longer flowering season.  I will wait till next spring to make a better bed for the couple of dahlia varieties I have.  I don't know if I will look out for more as I am running out of space in my garden.  I still have a big lawn which I intend on keeping as it is so soothing to look on to the green grass.  In winter I may look at extending the garden beds, just enough for more flowering plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment