Sunday, April 5, 2020

the garden is still performing


This is not the best picture to show off the double pink Abutilon, but I captured the image to show that within seven or eight months the cutting grew and have been producing flowers.  It is about 25 cm high and I have the pot sitting on my north facing front porch, together with other "babies" and delicate plants.

Enjoying the sunshine is a baby chestnut which grew from a chestnut I bought from the market, last autumn.  This chestnut is for my youngest granddaughter who is seven months old.  You may be able to see a Japanese maple peeping close to the chestnut.  There are three Japanese maple babies, which a friend gave me from seedlings found in her garden in Ivanhoe.  These are for my three older grandchildren, the eldest, who is at university loves gardening.  I am looking after the baby maples until they are a bit bigger and tougher.  You may also see a curry plant in the foreground.

I am still harvesting tomatiloes, chilli, basil and zucchinis.

These pumpkins will not be growing in the low autumnal temperature so I will be picking them as well as the shoots to add to stir fry or soup.

I found this very small pumpkin while I was removing yellowing leaves.  I will be picking it soon and perhaps bake it whole.

Roses and zinnias still giving me joy.

Potted zinnias and cosmos

orange and pink nerines

cheerful two-tone dahlia

This dahlia has been in my garden over a decade.

Red cayenne chilli, ready for picking.

No comments:

Post a Comment