Monday, April 24, 2017

still ripening

There are still vegetables and fruits waiting to ripen on the trees and bushes.  The only pumpkin in my garden is a butternut growing in one of the garden boxes.  A few seedlings appeared in spring and I pulled out all but one, which grew along the cucumber vine, which has long gone.  Only one fruit set on the pumpkin vine and I don't know if there'll be enough warmth to ripen it.  Even if it is not fully ripened I can still cook the butternut but I don't expect it to be great.

There are still a few chillies and capsicum waiting to ripen but this shiny red capsicum I picked after taking the picture.
Another capsicum.
Chillies, red and green.
I could have left these Granny Smith apples on the tree a bit longer but I would lose them to the possums and cockatoos.  They were crisp and sweet with a slight tartness.
This pomegranate tree does not get a lot of sun but this year I counted nine fruits which, to me is a bumper crop.  I don't know if the fruits will turn the glorious red I see in other gardens.
Tinge of red on these fruits.
This feijoa will drop when it is ripe.  I hope to get to it before the birds as there are hundreds of them looking for a feed in the garden at any time of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment