Saturday, November 14, 2015

Cherry trees

This is the bigger of my two cherry trees.  The netting had come undone and a couple of birds were attracted to the ripening fruits so I had to start all over again and wrap the netting carefully.

This bunch of cherries will be ready soon.  They are from the big tree and I am sure this is the Stella variety.  Fortunately the big tree is free from cherry slugs which have been attacking the little tree.

This bunch is from the smaller tree.  I have removed the leaves on top of the fruits as they were infested with cherry slugs.  I had to check all the leaves for the slugs which I squashed and to make sure they are all killed I sprinkled talcum powder all over.  The powder will suffocate any remaining slug.

When the slugs eat the leaves they become incapable of photosynthesizing, hence weakening the tree.  The brown leaves alerted me to the presence of the slugs.

The small cherry tree after the removal of slugs and ready to be covered in netting.




No comments:

Post a Comment