Saturday, May 25, 2013

pomegranate


I picked two pomegranates from my outside garden.  I have two trees, one in the outside garden, a bit too sheltered by the crab apple tree and the other where I can see it from the kitchen window.  I was surprised to see the two fruits mature and the seeds are so sweet and juicy.

There is quite a history to the trees.  I brought them from my old garden in pots.  They have been in the pots for at least five years.  One grew from a cutting and the other from marcotting, which is taking a cutting while the branch is still attached to the parent tree.

The tree in my old garden was given to me by a friend who needed the garden space.  It could have been twenty years ago when my friend and I dug out the well established, tree, taller than both of us.  We managed to get enough roots and trimmed off the branches so the tree could fit into the boot of my Humber Super Snipe.  The tree was planted next to the compost area and it thrived.  Sad to say the new owner of my old house has chopped down the tree.  It gave me bountiful harvest but pomegranate is not to everyone's taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment