Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ornamental pear

The Pyrus calleryana Chanticleer or ornamental pear as seen in the picture is very popular these days, being used in gardens as well as on nature strips.  At the moment the trees are bare after dropping their beautifully coloured leaves in autumn.  Two main reasons for growing this ornamental pear are for the white blossoms in spring and the shades of orange and red leaves in autumn.  The tiny fruits, smaller than a marble are quite useless.  This picture is of the twigs I saved after my sons pruned my ornamental pear tree about a month ago.  I had the twigs in water in the house and in the past two weeks the buds have opened up to leaves and flowers.  The tree in the garden is still bare as seen in the picture below.
My tree will not be full of blossoms in spring but it was getting too tall and too cluttered in the middle and had to be pruned and tidied.  I won an ornamental pear in bare root, at my gardening club, this month and I planted it in my friend's garden yesterday, in a position to be viewed from her sitting room.  I hope she will be able to enjoy the tree all year round, but especially in spring and autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment