Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Heritage tomato

I bought a few seedlings of this heritage tomato from the sales table of the Kew Gardening club.  I have been a member since 2008 and I have bought a few plants for the garden.  This tomato I found close to the ground while I was watering and I am surprised it has not been damaged by grubs or slugs.  It is a beautiful fruit, in taste and look and I will be saving the seeds.  One of the visitors to this blog sent me a seeds saver guide which I have saved.  There are helpful hints and to save the tomato seeds I would have to collect the seeds and juice and let them ferment for about three days at room temperature.  This will remove the gel coating the seeds and and prevent the transmission of seed-borne diseases.  The seeds will then be washed and dried and stored.  I hope to grow a few more of this variety next year as I have enjoyed eating them fresh and cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment