Tuesday, December 20, 2011

sweet corns and beans for Christmas

The sweet corns will definitely be ready to pick for Christmas dinner as indicated by the silk.  I planted a punnet of the sweet corn seedlings in September, with little hope of a harvest.  Of the five seedlings I planted in the garden only two survived the snails or slugs that chewed into the delicate stems.  The other five I planted in a large container and they all survived, but I can definitely say that those in the garden are looking a lot healthier.  I should have paid more attention to the container and top it with compost as corns are hungry plants.  Still, they are giving me some corns for the dinner table.
The beans too are ready to harvest.  They are so delicious eaten direct from the bush, which I am inclined to do before I begin watering in the morning.  I don't water everyday but after a hot spell I will give the garden a good soaking.  The beans I will be harvesting is the climbing variety but the bush beans which I planted a few weeks later are showing signs of bearing fruits.  I must start thinking about putting in more seeds so I can have beans right on to the onset of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment