Friday, November 25, 2011

beetroot

These two beetroots have been baked and their young leaves used in a salad.  There are half a dozen plants waiting to be pulled out and I should do it soon before the tubers grow too mature.  They are so easy to grow in rich friable soil.  I bought a punnet of seedlings and that was sufficient for my needs.  I grew them in one of my vegetable boxes.  When they are all harvested I may put in lettuce seedlings which I am finding in different parts of the garden.  If you look carefully at the picture below you will see a lettuce gone to seeds and in the background some beets doing the same.
Tidiness is not in my nature.  The plants have a way of self sowing.  I pull out the excesses and chop them for mulch and for the compost bin.  I don't think I will ever produce neat rows in my garden.  I will find that too dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment