Wednesday, December 8, 2010

After the rain

In between the heavy downpour I went out into the garden to check for damages.  The jacaranda flowers are barely opened and they have been blown on to the footpath.  The dills are bent double, their seedheads burdened with raindrops.The coriander is too delicate to stand up to the downpour and even the rotund hydrangea bush is feeling the weight of the droplets hanging from every leaf and petal.
I don't complain about the rain.  I merely worry about the seedlings, especially of the sunflowers, which are a bit slow this year.  I suspect the low temperature is slowing down their growth.  After today's heavy downpour I hope they will survive the onslaught of snails and slugs, which are bound to be on the lookout for delicate morsels.  Last January the sunflowers were in full bloom but I am not very hopeful this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment