Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The last of the peaches

 
These are the last of the peaches.  They have all been juicy.  The underripe ones were picked because the cockatoos and possums were getting to the fruits even with the netting over the tree.  I like the slight tartness of the firm fruits and a few days on the window sill did ripen the peaches.  I am so thrilled the fruits are so perfect.  The tree was suffering from leaf curl in spring even though I had sprayed the bare branches with lime sulphur.  I managed to remove all the affected leaves and the tree seemed to prosper, producing unblemished fruits.  I was half expecting to see grubs in the fruits as the blossoms were not sprayed.  I have to wait for the other fruit trees to grow and I must remember to top up the ground around them, (2 apples, an apricot, a feijoa and a fig) with compost.  The soil in my garden needs humus and compost.  I am chopping up soft branches from the pruning around the garden, to dig into the soil.  In some parts of the garden where I have been piling up with compost and manure, I am beginning to see worms when I am digging.  I think the worms are the gardener's best friends.  I know the soil is alive and well when the spade brings up a few worms.  I really must spend more time digging in manure and replenishing the pea straw mulch.  The garden is looking quite scraggly right now.  I am waiting for the silver beets and new planting of basil seedlings to take off, to give the garden a lush green look.  The possum ate up all the bok choi in one of the boxes.  The roses are looking a bit worn around the edges after a few days of intense heat.  My favourite is the dark red which turns almost velvetty black as it matures.  It starts off as a bright red bud.
  
 There are a few sunflowers left and I suspect they will be gone within a week as the cockatoos are turning into permanent resident on the fence and roof.  They have eaten up half of the crab apples so I don't know if I can make even a jar of jelly.  I do enjoy watching the different birds but I wish I could keep them off the fruits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment