Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The outside garden


I call it the outside garden as it is really outside my property but I am responsible for its maintenance.  The north west facing area is too good to be wasted so I am slowly taking over the lawn and putting in all sorts of plants, from succulents to the water hungry and they are doing so well passersby have stopped to talk to me about it if I happen to be working amongst the plants.  I had harvested potatoes from the area and when in need of sage there is a thriving plant with large healthy leaves and the oregano seems happy too.  The broadbeans have been replaced with a zucchini, which is definitely loving the sheep manure I added to the ground after pulling out the beans.  Two zucchini plants will ensure I will not run out of vegetables. The zucchini is the inside garden have a few fruits ready for picking if I want them young and tender and I must watch them or I will end up with some the size suitable for the Big Friendly Giant.  What I am most please about my outside garden is the patch of sunflowers.  I had broadcasted the seeds in the prepared bed when it was full moon last October.  Someone told me a while ago that sowing the seeds at that time would give you the best results.  Last year I had some beautiful sunflowers, some the size of a dinner plate, (see picture).  This batch of sunflowers are too close together because I did not get around to thinning the seedlings.  Only a couple of flowers have opened and they are not impressively large, but I love the bold yellow.  The plants are tall and stand well above the fence line so I can see the flowers from my window.  The cockatoos will come to feast on the seeds when they are ready.  I shall save some for seeds as I did last year and let the cockatoos enjoy the rest.  This picture was taken last summer and the cockatoo knew where to perch for a good feed.


No comments:

Post a Comment