Thursday, May 17, 2012

Choko

This bushy choko vine is in a pot.  I planted two sprouting choko fruits at the same time, one in this pot and the other in the ground beneath the hakea in my outside garden.  The vine in the outside garden has clambered over the hakea tree and produced fruits.  I have picked three so far and I can see a couple more amongst the leaves.  Choko is not the most exciting vegetable but it is so easy to grow and from stories I have heard, very productive.  With a little bit of imagination you can turn this humble vegetable into whatever takes your fancy - from plain stir-fry to relish.
The two choko fruits in the picture are up high in the hakea tree.  I don't know if they will attract possums and cockatoos.  Being hidden amongst the leaves may help.  I also pick the tender shoots to add to stir-fry and that encourages growth.
These three chokos are still young and tender, unlike those found in the shops, which can be so mature that they are already sprouting.  I hope to see more fruits forming to be ready for picking over the winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment